The Harry K. Landes Company began in 1910. Located in the Odd Fellows Building in Indianapolis, the company rented regalia for lodges such as the Masons and the Knights of Pithias. Harry K. Landes was a founding member of the National Costumers Association (NCA), which held its first meeting in Indianapolis on August 24, 1923. Mr. Landes served as the NCA’s founding first vice president. His son, Arthur Landes, was also at that first meeting. Art went on to serve as NCA president from 1937 – 1941. By this time, the costume shop was located at 837 North Illinois. Besides costumes, Landes rented caps and gowns for school graduations and sold theatrical fabric and trim. Alpha Cromer worked for the family for over 40 years and developed many early patters used by the shop, including our Santa Claus suit. Arthur and Dorothy Landes had five children who grew up in the family business. In 1968, their son, Joseph, took over the business, which had moved to North Pennsylvania Street. Joe also served as president of the NCA from 1958 – 1960 and as editor of The Costumer magazine. After a devastating fire in 1977, Landes Costume Company moved to its current location at 811 North Capitol Avenue. In 1978, Dan Pugh, costumer and Associate Professor of Theatre at Butler University, began designing for the firm. Following Joe’s untimely death in 1982, his sisters, Diane and MaryLou, took over with partners, Pat Van Valer and Terry Howard. MaryLou and employee, Rachel Godollei, became editors of The Costumer. MaryLou continued to serve on the NCA board of directors as publications director. In the mid-1980s, Terry Howard sold his interest in the company to his partners. When the Landes sisters decided to retire, the reins were passed once again. This time to Rachel Godollei-Johnson, who had worked for the shop for 7 years before being hired by the Department of Theatre at Butler University to teach and serve as Technical Director. From the start of her employment at the shop, Rachel was one of the family. In 1994, Rachel and Steve Johnson, her husband, bought the business from the Landes sisters and their partner. They were proud to carry on the tradition of excellence that has always been associated with the Landes name. Another milestone was reached in 1999 as Rachel and Steve added the first floor of their building to the existing second floor shop.